Sunday, August 21, 2011

Mirror/Corkboard Project

Originally, this was a framed set of mirrors. My Mom bought it at work at 90% off because it was damaged. It sat in her house for a couple months leaning against a wall until the rest of it fell apart. I adopted it and brought it home where it sat in my room for about 2 weeks until I decided what I wanted to do with it. I thought the contrast of mirrors and cork would be interesting. Add a bit of a college-punk twist to this modern themed piece of decor. It was a very simple project. Cheap too! Here we go...


Supplies:
Frame and mirrors (Free)
Cork Sheets (6.00)
Glue Gun and Glue (8.00) -you probably have this on hand already
Scissors


Trace the glass onto the Cork Sheet until you have 9 traced. There are 18 available spots but since I'm alternating between glass and cork I only need half the amount.


Cut out each of the 9 pieces. Place them in the open slots alternating the two materials until all the spots are filled. Hot glue them in place.


I like it with just the frame filled. I wanted to hang it on the wall like this and in the center of it, mount clock hands directly on the wall. Then add number stickers around the edges, or lines in place of the numbers. Shane liked the mirror in the middle so that's what I did... 


Same process. I laid the glass in the slot and used hot glue to keep it in place. And now the project is complete! A beautiful and practical mirror/corkboard. Now all that's left is to deck it out with some sweet homemade Bottle Cap Tacks from my last post :)



Love it 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This will be my next project using cork wall tiles. This is so perfect for my room.