Saturday, August 20, 2011

Bottle Cap Tacks

After getting some inspiration from various crafting blogs, including ModPodgeRocks.com, I've decided to finally try these things out. Bottle cap crafts are pretty awesome. The possibilities are endless. You can make rings, necklaces, magnets, tacks, buttons, knobs, bracelets... you name it. After completing my mirror/cork-board project I figured the tacks were a good place to start. Here is a very simple tutorial for Bottle Cap Tacks.



What You Need:
Bottle Caps
Gift Cards
Tacks
Epoxy Stickers
Glue Gun
Scissors


To start, warm up the Glue Gun and choose the Gift Card you want to use.


Take one of the Epoxy Stickers (found in the scrapbooking section of most craft stores) and stick it on the Gift Card in the desired place. Carefully cut the Gift Card around the sticker.


Using the Glue Gun, apply some hot glue to the center of the Bottle Cap and quickly press the Gift Card into the glue so it's level.


Next, apply the Tack with the Glue Gun.


The only Tacks I could find were covered in a plastic film that I cut off. When using hot glue on the plastic cover it melts the plastic and becomes unstable. I just cut it off with Scissors, dabbed the back of the Bottle Cap with hot glue and quickly applied the Tack. Press it as close to the Bottle Cap as you can without squeezing all the glue from underneath it. I've found that with more than a thin layer of glue between the two pieces they will come apart during normal use of the Tack.


After the Tack is applied, Congrats! You just made your first Bottle Cap Tack! Try other inserts like photographs, scrapbook paper, magazine clippings, etc. Let me know how they come out!

If you like this post click the "Follow" link on the top of this blog. If you have pop-ups disabled you may not be able to follow the blog without temporarily disabling the blocker.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often..

rachelle madrigal
www.imarksweb.org